Sunday 24 May 2015

Happy

Today, I want to share an idea that has had a big impact on my happiness and quality of life. I've seen this concept mentioned by others many times in the context of exercise or time management or work/life balance, and it is probably not new to you, but it's value has only become apparent to me since I started implementing it. Here it is: You need to schedule the things that are important to you into your life, just like you do with work. Exercise: put it in your diary. Time with the family: put it in your diary. Friendships: yep, write it down. I have started doing this and it has made me so happy. I now have dinner with my kids and their partners once a month. I meet my BFF every fortnight. I catch up with my Uni girlfriends monthly. All those relationships are important to me, but it was not until I started scheduling time for them that they got the space in my life that truly reflected their value.
                                                            Coat:Veronika Maine
                                                            T-shirt:Sportscraft
                                                            Jeans: Jag
                                                            Boots: Wittner
This week, I went out for dinner at Bourbon Street with my Uni posse. I have always wanted to visit New Orleans so it was fun to have a little taste of it and try things like beignets, which I had only ever  read about, especially since there was also a live jazz band playing. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the temperature: it was cold and windy and I realised that I needed to move "winter coat" to the top of my shopping list.

This is what I ended up with. I had originally been keen to get a colourful coat, but the shape of this is so beautiful that I decided I would go with black and use a scarf to add colour. I have realised that scarf collars and wide lapels are the perfect shape over a flat chest. They provide volume and warmth as well as some visual interest, and they prevent the rest of the coat from looking too straight. I have seen this in moto-style leather jackets too,  and although that look is a bit too casual and hard-edge for my style, I do admire the look on others. I also like the way that the asymmetrical closure allows the coat to be zipped right up to my chin. That will come in very handy in August, when the cold winds really bite.

The other coat I contemplated was an A-line swing-style coat. That also worked well on a straight body, but in the the end the wide lapels, extra length and multiple styling options of this coat won me over. I am having a dinner date with my husband tonight, so I am looking forward to being toasty warm as I enjoy spending time with him.
Do you have any life hacks that have made you much happier?

Happy by Pharrell Williams

8 comments:

  1. Sharon I have been processing similar thoughts recently and am starting to do the same as you. Scheduling time and investing in the relationships that are most important to me. The coat is stunning. Fabulous shape and I would imagine it will have great longevity as part of your winter wardrobe. Looks amazing done up creating that funnel type collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah. I am a recent convert to the high neck! You will have to let me know how the scheduling works out for you.

      Delete
  2. That coat is a really good length on you. With it open, it looks casual enough to wear everyday, but with the collar all done up, it looks classy enough to wear to the opera.

    How exciting that you ate beignets! I grew up in Louisiana and lived across the lake from New Orleans for six years. While I have yet to encounter any fried dough I dislike, good beignets are certainly a favorite. I hope you get to visit New Orleans sometime; it is a special place.

    My favorite life hack is also about those I care for most. I generally do not get birthday or holiday gifts purchased and delivered on time. If there isn’t a party scheduled on my calendar, birthdays seem to sneak up on me, and my friends celebrate a variety of winter holidays. No one else seemed to care that my packages were always late, but I would get frustrated with myself. A couple of years ago, I generally gave up getting gifts for specific dates. Now, no matter the time of year, when I see a little thing I think a friend or family member would like, I get it, write a short note, and drop it in the mail right away. Everyone is happy with this arrangement! I have freed myself from the pressure of meeting some unnecessary deadlines, and people love getting a randomly-timed ‘I’m thinking of you’ surprise in their mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love the fried dough comment! And I love your random gifts idea- this is certainly something I would like to start doing. Thank you for the inspiration.

      Delete
  3. "Have To" - As a rebellious teenager, I hated that phrase. As an adult, I've examined what I really have to do, and how to fill in what i want to be doing. And finding happiness in doing those little things I have to do, instead of fighting them so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally get this! I am the queen of procrastination and I think you are right in your philosophy of surrendering rather than fighting for things that are unavoidable.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your thoguhtful comments. There is something about having cancer that brings about these moments of contemplating " how exactly do I want to spend my time?" As I recover form chemo, with such limited energy these days, I have to seriously evaluate what I can do each day - what are the "need to's" and what are the "want to's"...If you veiw throught the lens of having limited time on this earth- which face it, it true of all of us :), then the want to's become a little higher on the priority list- like time with friends and family. Oh, and love the boots with the coat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just talking about this today, with a friend who has also had BC. She finds the ongoing uncertainty really helpful in focussing her attention on enjoying her life and aligning her time allocation with her priorities and values. I certainly do far less housework these day! I hope you are feeling better soon.

      Delete