Saturday 25 January 2014

Your Latest Trick

A piece of advice that I have heard often with regards to dressing post-mastectomy is to wear scarves to provide coverage over the chest. A few weeks ago, I mentioned that friends had sent me these very items, and today I thought I would show you how I have been wearing them.
Scarf:Gift from a kind friend
Top:Veronika Maine
Jeans:Country Road
Boots:Wittner
This long sleeved T-shirt is one of the few pre-op tops that have remained in my wardrobe. Being a knit, it is stretchy and does not hang emptily like most of my woven tops did. The last time I wore a jeans-and-T-shirt outfit, I felt a bit too masculine so this time I wore earrings, boots with a heel and of course the scarf itself, which is quite feminine with it's soft, drapey volume and pretty shades of pink and brown.
I have draped the scarf fairly simply, just pulling one end forward and throwing the other over my back and allowing the loop of fabric to fall at about the level my breasts should be. I have a short neck and so I try to avoid a lot of volume around it, but someone with a more graceful neck could get away with tying the ends to create an infinity scarf effect which would give a more cowl-neck appearance.
My big reservation with scarves is their tendency to shift around and need readjustment. However, I have found quite an elegant solution. I bought a cheap necklace that had multiple small (1cm diameter) rings on it. I took the rings off, and threaded my scarf ends through them. The scarf is soft enough to fit through the rings, but bulky enough for them to be quite firm, thus allowing me to adjust it to the point I want and then be sure that it will stay that way!
Do you have any little tricks that help your clothes stay neat and in place?

 


                                       

3 comments:

  1. Sharon the scarf idea is clever:). This outfit look lovely on you and those booties are amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not: (a small safety pin can do wonders) You can put a few beads on the safety pin if you're worried about the part of it showing. I also think brooches are fun for fastening items. I love how you're rockin your style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Deborah. Sandy, that's a great idea - I always forget about brooches, but the right one can look awesome.

    ReplyDelete