Tuesday 18 February 2014

Got My Mojo Working

A few months ago I talked about fashion eras in which being flat-chested was advantageous and I was surprised to realise this week that I have not shown you this dress before. I currently have three dresses in my wardrobe and this is the one I have been reaching for most often, just because it feels cool both physically and psychologically!
Dress:Cue
Sandals:Joanne Mercer
I think it has very clear 1960's Mod influences. It is a simple shape, a short style and it actively avoids the appearance of curves! I feel positively Twiggy-esque in this dress and the associations with the music and fun and non-conformity of Mod culture are very appealing to me.


As you can see, the front is cut very straight, avoiding the appearance of empty fabric that haunts me with most of the dresses I try. I have been experimenting with how to transition my wardrobe into Autumn this week, and have found that this dress also looks good with a long-sleeved knit top underneath and the sandals swapped out for boots. But for now, whilst temperatures are still in the 30's I am happy to wear it as is, and grateful for the extra ventilation provided by the cut-out back and the shorter length.
It is now a little over 6 months since my surgery and I was profoundly glad to realise recently that I feel like I have my mojo back. Whilst there will always be ups and downs, most of the time I am able to love my body for it's strength and resilience and functionality and feel confident and attractive in how I dress myself. We all have our scars and imperfections and accepting them may be the first step in getting mojo working and living life with joy.


3 comments:

  1. Sharon this is a beautiful dress. I can understand why you would reach for this frequently. And I am glad to hear you are feeling good. I couldn't agree more that we all have to get to that place of self acceptance. I love your attitude:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab dress - the back is really stunning. I am really enjoying your blog. Marie, Journeying Beyond Breast Cancer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Deborah. I think a positive body image is something many women struggle with, irrespective of their appearance.
    Marie, thank you. I am glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete